This post started with the title This Year, I Want To Learn…, but after thinking about the things I want to focus on, I think it’s more about practicing. Maybe I already know how to do them, but I need to start doing them.
2. Speaking Chinese. Now that I have a job that takes me there, I really want to be able to say things like, this food is delicious, and what a beautiful garden, thank you for your hospitality and where is the bathroom? Last time I was there, it would have helped if I could have said “I need more toilet paper”, as housekeeping couldn’t figure it out while I was calling them from the bathroom floor at 3am during a bout of food poisoning. This may be the first phrase on my list. (note the best cure for a yucky tummy, red sugar and chopped fresh ginger in hot water, instant recovery!)
3. The science of food. Big area, maybe I’ll start with cheese. I think fresh mozzarella would be the BOMB.
4. Listening. I’ve noticed so much hate and narrow mindedness this year, I think people have stopped listening? I truly believe listening inspires things like respect and confidence and understanding.
5. Sunday Suppers. Local food cooked and enjoyed with family and friends. We need to spend more time together, and when we are together, we should be eating good food.
6. Peace. I’d like to think it’s contagious. And with my brother and other family members on duty in hazard zones, I can’t help but wonder what their lives would be like if the world were a more peaceful place and everytime they sent a photo, there wouldn’t be an automatic weapon and full body armor in the photo (with a tank in the background), it would be a photo of them with their wife and kids. (Not that their service hasn’t been rewarding, I know my brother is an amazing ambassador and has made friends all over the world, no doubt it is an incredible and fantastic experience.)
What are you going to practice this year?